Sunday, April 26, 2009

Silent Hill Games

For the heck of it, I've recently been watching a bunch of walkthroughs of the Silent Hill series. A special thanks goes to Louischou from Youtube for supplying these videos.

I was a huge fan of the Silent Hill games, probably because they all scare the sh*t outta me. These are probably the most demented games I've ever played, they don't make a whole lot of sense. I remember when I first played the original Silent Hill one for the Playstation (PS1)...the game starts with you waking up after a car accident to notice your daughter is missing. The town you're in is completely covered in fog and you can't see anything in front of your face...on top of it, it's snowing during the wrong season. In search of your daughter, you find clues which lead you to an alleyway. As you progress, you find odd objects laying throughout, like hospital stretchers and wheelchairs...and blood. The deeper you go, the more morbid it gets and the darker it gets too (literally)...so dark in fact that you can't see anything. Eventually you reach a dead end and find a massacred corpse hanging on hooks...suddenly an air raid siren goes off in the distance and these little mutated midgets stab you to death...

Yeah, that's how the games starts off, sounds very joyous doesn't it? Makes you wonder why the hell I like these games. I honesty can't say why...perhaps it's the fear that keeps me wanting more...but then again, you wouldn't catch me playing these games alone in the dark, screw that. These are the types of games you play with friends, like you're watching a movie. You keep playing to unravel the mystery as to what the hell is wrong with that town and what happened to your daughter...this was one of those games I played to death until I got every single ending (except the UFO ending, I never knew about that).

I never really got into Silent Hill 2, not sure why so I don't have much to say about that.

Silent Hill 3 was good, it had to do with the daughter (Heather Mason) of the guy from part 1 (Harry Mason). I don't remember too much about this except that I was annoyed when you discover that Harry Mason is murdered...yeah, the guy who survived the hell of Silent Hill 1 just ends up dead for no reason in part 3...seems so meaningless. It was a good freaky game though.

Silent Hill 4 was one of my favourites...it kind of trailed off from the story lines of 1-3 but it was just as scary if not more. It's about a guy (Henry Townshend) who wakes up one morning in his apartment to discover that he's locked inside with no way out. If he screams or tries to smash the walls or door, nobody hears it. If he tries to break the window, nothing happens. His phone is dead, his TV is dead and his radio doesn't work. Wondering what the hell is going on, he eventually hears a smash in his bathroom...he enters to discover a never ending man sized hole in the wall...so what does he do? He goes inside...what choice does he have?

The longer he stays in his apartment, the more demented it gets. Objects in the house start becoming possessed, his dryer explodes, severed heads start falling outside his windows, specters emerge from the walls, it gets creepier and creepier...you gotta play it lol.

Anyway, that was my pointless rant. Check out Louischou's Youtube site for all these vids (except Silent Hill 4, Baruttv from Youtube has vids for that).

4 comments:

Azra Momin said...

What a cute post. All those happy stories....
OK, just kidding. I bet Silent Hill-ers will find your insights useful.
BTW, why do all these games have such twisted themes?

Cao said...

I guess to be original...people are bored of the same old stuff. Sadly enough I'm sure this is just the beginning of this twisted theme...

bathmate said...

www.bathmateus.com
I like it !!!
Good posting !!!
Nice posting !!!

Silent Hill! said...

How could you not have gotten into Silent Hill 2? Best game of the sesries, really.