Saturday, May 9, 2009

New Game Review - Bigs Rigs

Well, it has been awhile but I finally posted something new on Youtube. It's a small game review of the game "Big Rigs - Over the Road Racing" for the PC.

Now I know what you're thinking, what about this "Another World" video I was working on? Yes, I'm still working on it but I haven't posted anything in such a long time so I decided to take a video that I had done a long time ago and post it. I did the "Big Rigs" review back around the time when I created the "One Month Off" video. The only reason I didn't post it earlier is that I wanted to do a lot more with it, it's just so bland and boring the way it is now. But I feel that it's better than nothing and I'm sure any fans that I have are probably pissed off that I'm taking so long. I wanted to include some short animations and make it more presentable but maybe that's my problem...I waste so much time trying to make it "neat" that it takes me a million years just to post a video.

What do you guys think? Should I take the time to add little animations or do whatever it is that I do to each video to make it more entertaining? Or should I just do a simple review and post as is? Videos would be posted a lot more often if I left them "as is"...but I have more fun (in the long run) adding music and animation, etc.


Anyway, you may want to watch the video first before reading further, just so you have a better understanding of what I'm about to say. Big Rigs is a terrible, terrible racing game. I mean, you'll notice that no effort was put into making this game. The designers just slapped whatever they could together as fast as they could and ended up with this mess. When you first start the game you get a simple title screen.

I have no complaints about this title screen except for the fact that there is no intro or music. How many games have you played where there was no music or intro to a title screen? Anyway, lets get to the actual game. When you select a "custom race" you get the choice of 4 trucks to choose from....OH MY, 4 whole trucks??!! What a selection!

The graphics appear to be pretty decent here so right away you get the feeling that maybe this game won't be so bad. It's funny that out of the 4 trucks to choose from, they all look cool except for the final 4th truck...

What is this? Super foreign European truck? Why is it called "Sunrise"? Sad truck...so that's the one I choose of course. After your selection you then get to choose from 5 whole maps...

They each have clever names like "Devil Passage" and "Devil Passage 2", "Small Town Road"...of all places you could race, why would you pick a "Small Town Road"? Hmm, "Devil's Passage" sounds cool but "Small Town Road" sounds way cooler! I ended up choosing "Nightride".

So after choosing your vehicle and map, above is the first screen you'll see after it finishes loading. Right off the bat, I can see 3 things wrong (if not more).

What's going on here? They couldn't take the time to make sure the font didn't stick out of the box? How complicated is that? Is it too time consuming to fix this stupid mistake?

What's with the rear lights? How many trucks do you see that have their rear lights floating in the middle of the outside doors? Plus, the further you play into the game, you'll notice the lights don't keep their place...

What are these numbers? Some sort of code they forgot to hide? Why?

While driving, you'll notice that you can pretty much drive through any and every little damned thing. I drive through this building with no effort what so ever. I don't even slow down...there isn't one object in this game you can't drive through.

Even my opponents aren't an obstacle! What racing game have you ever played where you could drive through your opponent (unless it was a ridiculous cheat code or something)?

See me driving up this hill? Yeah, look how steep that is? Do you really think a truck of this size could effortlessly drive up this cliff?? NO but in this game, anything goes. Again, there is no effort to driving up this cliff, I don't slow down one bit like there is no sense of physics on this planet.

There is that rear light problem I was talking about earlier . Look at my angle! I'm not even tipping! A normal truck would tip right over from this but no, I'm glued to the ground.

What's happening here? I don't know, the ground just disappeared.

Look at this! I drove right off the map, there are no boundries. I'm driving on a black sky. Why?

Geez, were these guys rushed to make this game or what? Did they not realize that perhaps we can rent games and check for reviews nowadays? Maybe they did this on purpose as a joke, that would make more sense. People are buying it just for a good laugh.

How many speedometers do you see that give you a "-" or a negative aspect when driving in reverse?

Look at this sadness, I'm going faster backward then I ever could forward. I'm going 400 Mph backward! On top of that, when I hold "left" on the keyboard, I spin out of control, faster than the speed of light it looks like.

2000 MPH backward, spinning out of control, the sound this truck is making at this point is ear piercing, what is this garbage? Oh and did I mention that when you let go of the controls and stop, you literally "stop" on a dime. Really...you just stop dead in your tracks after going 2000 Mph.


So here is what I learned from this game. Magic trucks on Earth named "Thunderbull" can drive through any object imaginable. It can defy all logic and reason by driving up the steepest cliffs with no effort at all. It can drive faster backward than forward and there is no limit to the speed it can achieve. You can drive off the planet into Limbo and stop at the speed of light.

I refuse to believe that this game was an accident. This mistake was deliberate because they knew that people would rush to by the game based on the fact that it sucked so bad. People would find it so hard to believe that the reviews they're watching on Youtube about this game are real that they'd go buy it for themselves just to be sure.

My rating: -2000 Stars backward. I give it an "F" for sucks. Are the game designers still alive? They shouldn't be.

4 comments:

Azra Momin said...

You are so funny! I like how you said: Look at this sadness.

As usual, I am clueless about this game (just like any other one out there) but reading your comments is still so much fun.

Anonymous said...

Yes, this is a sad, sad game.

Quoted from the Wikipedia article:
Alex Navarro of GameSpot declared that Big Rigs is "as bad as your mind will allow you to comprehend." Also it said in his review "Please do not play this game. We cannot stress this enough." In the special Halloween "Frightfully Bad Games" video, Navarro stated, "This game received the lowest score in the history of GameSpot, a 1.0. And by lowest, I mean it can't go any lower. We don't hand out zeros, but maybe we should have for Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing." In GameSpot's "Best and Worst of 2004" awards, Big Rigs was given the "Flat-out Worst Game" award, despite the fact that the game was actually released in 2003. They said that they would use the "YOU'RE WINNER !" trophy as a symbol for the 'Flat-Out Worst Game' award from then on, but by 2005 a more generic logo was used.

Unfortunately, according to Wikipedia, the version you played in the Youtube video was the "improved" patched version of the game. The original had the following additional flaws:

- opponent truck doesn't even move. (In the patched version, it stops just before the finish line.)
- original message for completion was "YOU'RE WINNER!". (In the patched version, this was replaced with "YOU WIN!".)
- fourth track, Nightride, did not work: it crashes the game. (In the patched version, Nightride is replaced with an exact copy of the first track, Devil Passage 1."

Fritzz said...

Entertaining review indeed.. Thanks for your post! I'm enjoying reading it :)
Anyway, if you have time, take a visit to my Free Games website.

Truck Rental said...

great! a trucker can really cultivate his legacy through this game:)