Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Tools I use for Editing - Part 4



Cool Edit Pro 2.0 - Audio Editing Software


This application is no longer called "Cool Edit Pro" due to the fact that Adobe had bought them out. It's now called "Adobe Audition":

http://www.adobe.com/special/products/audition/syntrillium.html

But rather than move on to the new version, I stick with the old only because it works and I see no reason to move on (yet).

I perform all my audio editing with this application (except for minor changes like volume increases/decreases). But you probably won't notice anything exceptional in any of my videos that makes you wonder "How did he do that?!". I'm not really any audio pro by any means but this application does everything I need it to do.



One example would be in one of my old "Jeff's Work" videos you'll find on my Youtube page. There were a couple segments where I was talking with client's over the phone and whenever the client was talking, I made it sound like you were hearing them through a phone. For the longest time I couldn't find an application that could convert the audio clip to make it sound like that but this app can. Again, it's a simple conversion/feature but it can do all sorts of things like that.


I also use it to convert .wav files into .mp3's and vice-versa. Sometimes Premiere will have a difficult time with some formats so this tool can also convert strange foreign file types (like .vox) to something that makes sense (like an .mp3 or .wav, etc.).

There isn't much else to say about this program, it's pretty simplistic (for what I use it for). I'm sure you can do a lot of mixing and music creation with it too but I never explored that.

This software goes for about $349 now...not cheap. But go here for a list of free software:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_audio_software

Also, check out Youtube for some cool examples of what this software can do:

Cool Edit Pro 2 Clear Vocals *Part 1*
Cool Edit Pro 2.0 Tutorial: How to Use CEP2 as a MIXER
Cool Edit Pro dubbing tutorial
"Cool It Man - part I" - on Cool Edit Pro 2.0



1 comment:

Azra Momin said...

So much info! You are really good with your tips, and I like how you provide links for everything.

I've seen some of your very hilarious Jeff's work skits, but I would really love to see you make some more claymation stuff. I know it takes ages to do, but you made some really neat ones before, so I hope you can make some more soon!

xxx